1) Pick a designed non-drinking driver for the day or hire someone.
2) Don’t rush your tour. A visit to 1 or 2 wineries in the morning. 1 for lunch, 2 or 3 in the afternoon is ideal.
3) Taste responsibly — its perfectly OK to spit out a wine, even if you like it and don’t forget to snack between visits.
4) Avoid wearing perfume, aftershave or sunscreen. It will effect the wine’s bouquet.
5) Do not chew gum, use mints or cough drops.
6) If you don’t know the difference between wine varieties, don’t be afraid to ask. Winemakers and tasting room staff are happy to explain.
7) Bring a notebook to record the wines and what you liked about them.
8) When you find a wine you like, buy several bottles. Bring a cooler especially during the Summer.
9) Tour hours may vary from one winery to the next so call ahead. If you’re traveling in a group of 15 or more, you’ll need to schedule your tour.
10) Remember to bring ID. Winery staff will check if you look under 21.
11) Make the most of your visit. Check out sites like: www.LocalWineEvents.com , www.newyorkwines.org for special events that may be going on in Wine Country.